Monday, July 03, 2006

America - happy 175th!!

America

My country tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing.
Land where my fathers died!
Land of the Pilgrim's pride!
From every mountain side,
Let freedom ring!

My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love.
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture fills
Like that above. My country, sweet land of liberty

Let music swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees
Sweet freedom's song.
Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break,
The sound prolong.

Our father's God to, Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright
With freedom's holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God, our King!

- Samuel Francis Smith

We sang that in church Sunday morning. It was appropriate. It was two days shy of the 175th anniversary of its first presentation, July 4th, 1831. And that debut took place exactly where we sang it on Sunday, as it was first performed at Park Street Church by the sunday school...

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?

<< Home