Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Great last lines

I don't think I've watched a single minute of programming on CBS except college basketball and the Masters since the NFL season ended, but I've got it on tonight, because there's an AFI special on the greatest 100 movie quotes. I haven't seen much (and wouldn't have seen any if John Podhoretz hadn't mentioned it in the Corner) but I like movies, and it's fun to see the great scenes, and the great lines.

One thing that got me thinking, though, was the comment from When Harry Met Sally that the last line of Casablanca ("You know, Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship") is the greatest last line in movie history*. It certainly belongs in the conversation, but I can think of two right off the top of my head, both from 1939, that belong in that discussion as well.

"I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day."
- Scarlett O'Hara (vivien Leigh), Gone With The Wind

"Oh, Auntie Em - there's no place like home!"
- Dorothy Gale (Judy Garland), The Wizard Of Oz



* - Apropos of absolutely nothing, I think it's interesting that one of the most famous opening lines in literature comes from the same book as one of the most famous closing lines in literature.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."

Everything in between's pretty good, too...

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?

<< Home