Tuesday, November 03, 2009

NFL Week 8 wrapup

Week 8 in the NFL...

  • OK, I saw some of the Packers-Vikings game. I didn't want to, but I wanted to watch football, and my only two choices were that or the Red Zone channel. Obviously, I left it on the Red Zone channel, but I saw plenty of the game anyway. I did, however, avoid ALL of the pre-game, halftime and post-game stuff.


  • As I've said before, it doesn't bother me that he comes out of retirement. It bothers me that he keeps going through the charade of retiring, which is unfair to everyone around him. And I'm convinced that he does it for the media attention, and the media, obviously, are like pushers feeding a junkie's habit.


  • On the plus side, ESPN has driven me away, so I'm watching a LOT less SportsCenter...


  • Note to NBC executives: The presence of Keith Olbermann drives many who would be interested in Football Night in America away from that program. Some of us don't make it back for the game. Whatever your ratings are, it is difficult for me to imagine that they wouldn't be higher without him.


  • There's a lot of "wow, Ted Ginn really showed the critics" analysis this week. Which is, of course, nonsense. No one's ever disputed his speed or his ability as a kick-off returner. He's still a lousy receiver who was taken way, way too soon in the draft. That said, he almost single-handedly won that game for the Dolphins on Sunday.


  • What's going on with the Giants? It pains me to see them struggling so. Not.


  • It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the Broncos now that their armor's been pierced. Did the Ravens show something that people can use? Or was it just one of those games?


  • Obvious pick: Oakland at San Diego


  • Obvious Pick which was dead wrong: Carolina at Arizona


  • Somewhere in this world, there's a man that picked Denver to start the season 6-1. I'd like to have him managing my stock portfolio.


  • Evidence that you should be listening carefully to what I say:

    Denver at Baltimore - "The streak has to come to an end at some point, and this seems as likely a point as any. The Broncos have played well, but they've also been a beneficiary of some good bounces, some opponents who haven't played well and there not being much scouting film, what with the new players and coaches. They're better than I expected going in, but they're really a 6-0 quality team, and they won't go into Baltimore and beat the Ravens."

    San Francisco at Indianapolis - "The Colts go to 7-0, but it's a close game and they win by 10 or less."


  • Evidence that you should be listening carefully to what I say (and betting the opposite):

    Carolina at Arizona - "Like Tom Brady, Jake Delhomme frequently puts up "video game" numbers. As scored by someone who doesn't know how to play the video game, against someone who does."

    Cleveland at Chicago - "Too many points for a mediocre Bears team to cover anywhere against anyone."


  • For the week:
    Winners: 8-5
    ATS: 5-8-0


  • For the season:
    Winners: 74-42
    ATS: 60-56-0


Labels: , ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?

<< Home