Tuesday, October 20, 2009

NFL Week 6 wrapup

Week 6 in the NFL...

  • There are a lot of NFL quarterbacks who will never have a game as good as Tom Brady's second quarter on Sunday. The Patriots led 10-0 after one, then Brady went 17-of-21 for 252 yards and five touchdowns in the second, leading to a 45-0 haftime lead.


  • In the interest of full disclosure, since so many people are so deeply invested in these picks, I should pass along the following tidbit. While riding home through the New England rain and wind on Sunday after church, I heard the crew on WEEI's Sunday Morning Football Show all picking the Patriots to win comfortably. And I looked at the weather and thought, "the weather's a great equalizer, it's going to be hard to throw the ball, it's going to be hard for the Patriots to stop Chris Johnson, this could be a close game." I was going to write it up and post it, so convinced was I of the soundness of my acumen. Obviously, I should be keeping this to myself here, but honesty compels me to share it...


  • Stat of the week:
    Rushing Yards
    New England 193, Tennessee 193
    New England 426, Tennessee -7


  • Note to NBC executives: The presence of Keith Olbermann drives many who would be interested in Football Night in America away from that program. Some of us don't make it back for the game. Whatever your ratings are, it is difficult for me to imagine that they wouldn't be higher without him.


  • Obvious pick: New England over Tennessee


  • Obvious Pick which was dead wrong: Philadelphia over Oakland, NY Jets over Buffalo


  • Shocking score of the week: Oakland 13, Philadelphia 9


  • Somewhere in this world, there's a man that picked Denver to start the season 6-0. I'd like to have him managing my stock portfolio.


  • Evidence that you should be listening carefully to what I say:

    Tennessee at New England - "One of these weeks, the Titans are going to win a game. It won't be this week. The Patriots played a pretty good first half last week, and I suspect that, at home, this is going to start to look like the team they are capable of being."

    Denver at San Diego - "If picking this before the season started, the pick would obviously have been San Diego. But based on what the two teams have done so far, I don't know how you don't take the Broncos. I do know this - if the Chargers are going to win the West, they're going to have to win this game."


  • Evidence that you should be listening carefully to what I say (and betting the opposite):

    Philadelphia at Oakland - "Are the Raiders capable of scoring on a non-fluke play? Actually driving down the field and scoring? "

    Buffalo at NY Jets - "A couple of weeks in, the Bills looked like a real NFL team. Following the back-to-back losses to winless Miami and Cleveland, that's no longer the case."


  • For the week:
    Winners: 9-5
    ATS: 7-7-0


  • For the season:
    Winners: 59-31
    ATS: 47-43-0





Labels: , ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?

<< Home