Tuesday, October 13, 2009

NFL Week 5 wrapup

Week 5 in the NFL...

  • When the Patriots took the 17-7 lead into the half at Denver, getting the ball to start the second half, I was confident that they'd win. They played about as poorly in the second half, both offensively and defensively, as I ever expect to see them play. And they missed a field goal which would have provided the winning margin in regulation, negating the need to lose the coin toss in overtime. But they didn't run the ball well, they didn't throw the ball well, Brady's still missing receivers, the defense gave up two enormous drives where they just couldn't get off the field, they missed a field goal - it was a disaster. The Broncos are obviously better than I'd given them credit for being, but I still believe the Patriots are the better team - they just didn't play that way on Sunday.


  • I don't imagine that Coach Singletary was particularly jolly during the 49ers film session on Monday.


  • Is there any reason - any reason whatsoever - to think that Jamarcus Russell is ever going to be a mediocre (never mind good) NFL quarterback?


  • Note to NBC executives: The presence of Keith Olbermann drives many who would be interested in Football Night in America away from that program. Some of us don't make it back for the game. Whatever your ratings are, it is difficult for me to imagine that they wouldn't be higher without him.


  • Obvious pick: Giants over Oakland, Philadelphia over Tampa Bay


  • Obvious Pick which was dead wrong: Baltimore over Cincinnati


  • Shocking score of the week: Atlanta 45, San Francisco 10


  • Teams we need to reconsider, based on what happened this week: Denver. Baltimore. Cincinnati. NY Jets. Miami. New England.

  • Somewhere in this world, there's a man that picked Denver to start the season 5-0. I'd like to have him managing my stock portfolio.


  • Evidence that you should be listening carefully to what I say (and the pickin's are slim this week):

    Indianapolis at Tennessee - "The question - the ONLY question - about this game is, "why is the spread just 4?""

    Minnesota at St. Louis - "Last week the Rams played the 49ers. This week, they're playing the Vikings. Frankly, I see no reason to use a different comment for this game than I used for that one. To wit: "We used to think it impossible for a team to go 0-16. Now we wonder whether it is possible for it to happen two years in a row.""


  • Evidence that you should be listening carefully to what I say (and betting the opposite [and it was a bad week]):

    Oakland at NY Giants - "Obviously the Giants win this. But does Eli play? Do they take it easy? Do the Raiders pretend to be a good team for a half? Does Oakland make up a touchdown in the fourth quarter while the Giants try to run out the clock? 17 is just too many points to give."

    New England at Denver - "I ought to have more to say about this than I do, but I don't. The Broncos are 4-0, largely on the strength of their schedule. I believe that the Patriots are a better team in pretty much every aspect of the game, and I think that they'll win comfortably."


  • For the week:
    Winners: 8-6
    ATS: 5-9-0


  • For the season:
    Winners: 50-26
    ATS: 40-36-0




Labels: , ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?

<< Home