Monday, March 23, 2009

Curt Schilling retires

To the surprise of pretty much no one, Curt Schilling has decided to call it a career. As a Red Sox fan who appreciates his contribution to two World Championship teams, I'll always have affection for him. There are those who think that he talked too much (and none, that I've ever heard, that think he talked too little) but that rarely bothered me. He was a great pitcher for while, and in the 2004 post-season, provided a seminal baseball moment when he took the field in game 6 of the ALCS with stitches in his ankle and blood on his sock.

So consider this a sincere "thanks, and good job" to number 38 as he gets on with his life.



Later this week, I hope to look at Schilling's career and Hall of Fame case, at least to make a decision for myself as to whether he belongs or not. Prior to performing that analysis, I think he's a borderline case, with a high enough peak but not necessarily a long enough career for that peak, but a case that's bolstered by post-season accomplishments. More on that later.

Labels: ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?

<< Home