Monday, February 25, 2008

Human history

"What Satan put into the heads of our remote ancestors was the idea that they could...invent some sort of happiness for themselves outside God, apart from God. And out of that hopeless attempt has come nearly all that we call human history - money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery - the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy."
C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity


I said that I'd be mentioning The Abolition of Man again, and I will. But I'm not ready yet. For today, I'll just mention that the first of the three Riddell Memorial Lectures, later collected in The Abolition of Man as Men Without Chests, was delivered 65 years ago yesterday, February 24, 1943.

Labels: ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?

<< Home