Friday, January 22, 2010

One more Citizen's United comment

I want to make one addition to my earlier comments on the Supreme Court's Citizen's United decision. One of the things that the Times editorial implied, and I scoffed at, was the idea that this decision is great for Republicans. I hadn't considered that aspect of it at all, and can think of no obvious reasons why that would be the case. There are as many Democrats running corporations as Republicans - indeed, if I'm not mistaken, big corporate executives have disproporionately supported Democrats, in which case Republicans should be opposed to this decision.

I don't care whether it helps Republicans and hurts Democrats, or helps Democrats and hurts Republicans. I haven't spent a single second thinking about that aspect, but a little bit of surfing shows me that others have. Again, I don't care. What I care about is that the Supreme Court of the United States follows the Constitution in evaluating laws. So I don't know which party wins and which party loses, if either party wins or loses, but I believe that all Americans are winners, because the Supreme Court said, "the Constitution matters."

Labels: ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?

<< Home